Why Math-U-See Worked for My Kids: Math-U-See Review
There's many parents who rave about the wonderful Math-U-See program, because it's worked so well for them and their kids. The program is easy to understand, easy to teach even if you have no prior experience teaching maths, and achieves wonderful results with students of all ages, grade levels and learning abilities.
It's a research-proven maths program, and the following reviews show how many happy parents have benefited from this effective homeschool maths program.
Why is maths an important subject?
Numbers are the backbone of our entire civilisation, from geometric shapes to algebra, gravity and the equation of the cosmos. Mathematics governs the ratio of mixtures, ingredients, car engines and many other things.
Having a strong foundation of numbers also helps builds strong neurological pathways in the brain, and is important for students to develop logical thinking and reasoning strategies in their everyday activities. We need numeracy to solve problems and make sense of numbers, time, patterns and shapes for activities like cooking, reading receipts, reading instructions and even playing sport.
Understanding the way numbers work is called "maths." Being good at maths means you can not only recognise numbers but you also know what to do with them. If you have a friend that spends $35 on 12 sets of pencils and needs to know the cost of each item for his accounting records, do you add, multiply, divide or solve for the unknown?
Indeed, maths is an essential subject not only throughout school but also impacts future study options, employment opportunities and careers. It is crucial that teachers are equipped to confidently teach maths and numeracy skills to their students throughout their education, and especially now that many student classes and educational learning has been severely interrupted.
What makes a good maths program?
There's a few key things that make a good homeschool maths program.
- It has to be easy to teach. You don't want a program that's complicated and too hard to teach. If you're not having fun teaching it, then your student isn't having fun learning either.
- It needs to be Australianised.
There’s no point having a great US based program that teaches dimes, nickels, pounds for maths and US presidents for American history. However, some programs that are great in the English and Science department don’t have many references to US based measurements, so are very user friendly and of excellent quality.
- It needs to be fairly priced (not over-expensive) for what it’s worth. And you need to compare 'apples with apples'. A program with video content, instruction material and student workbooks can't be compared to a workbook from your local news agency in terms of the quality of instruction and learning. And since you've committed to teaching your children, it's worth investing in materials that support you to do an excellent job of it.
- There needs to be excellent feedback about the product. If people are raving about the way the program teaches or what it offers, there’s a good reason for it - that means it works!
- It must be simple to implement and not require a lot of preparation time (you've got better things to do with your time - like enjoying hanging out with and enjoying the beauty of your kids....)
What are the benefits of the Math-U-See program?
The best thing about the Math-U-See program is, that it ticks all those boxes and more! The Math-U-See program was written not only from experience in the school classroom as a qualified maths teacher but also with plenty of references to homeschool - the instructor, Steve Demme also homeschooled all of his kids!
It's easy to teach too, even if you don't have prior teaching experience. Many parents, teachers and tutors highly recommend the program because of its simplistic approach and ease of use.
The Math-U-See program includes the following features (that parents love!):
What Other Mums Say: Math-U-See Review
Here's what Kelly, a homeschool mum with three kids who has used the Math-U-See program successfully (and runs Fearless Homeschool and the annual Australian Homeschool Summit, a great place to find heaps of information about homeschooling in Australia as well as a ton of free online homeschool courses.)
Have fun learning and engaging with your kids at home. It's an honour and a privilege to be able to spend more time with your kids, teaching them about the world and making lasting memories with them.
All the best with homeschooling!