CHARITY & ENVIRONMENT
SOME WAYS THAT WE ARE GIVING BACK
Maths Australia acknowledges the importance of giving back to our land, our people and our environment when conducting business.
Thanks to you, our customers, every program purchased contributes directly to bringing maths mastery to disadvantaged children across the globe.
By offering maths knowledge, we hope to create genuine, lifelong opportunities so these children can prosper.
Our work with charities uses maths to help close the cycle of poverty and inequality worldwide.
MATHS AUSTRALIA IN UGANDA
In partnership with
Maths Australia's programs are now being used to help with maths teaching in several schools in Uganda run by the Irene Gleeson Foundation.
Through the commitment of the foundation’s Danny Graham, Maths Australia are training local teachers and teaching local students through our recommended program. The goal is to help them to achieve self-sufficiency in education and confidence in the day-to-day application of maths mastery by learning through our hands-on approach.
With 57% of children in Uganda living in poverty, this is vital work. Every purchase you make helps to support it.
Thanks to you, we can now see the exciting results in this video from Kitgum, Uganda, where Danny visited in 2016.
Danny will be returning to Kitgum shortly to continue training and implementation across IGF’s three schools, reaching over 600 students.
MATHS AUSTRALIA IN NEPAL
In partnership with
Maths Australia works hand-in-hand with the OneBody Foundation to create opportunities through maths for tutors and students in Nepal.
Our vision is to train teachers & tutors, providing them with an effective, simple-to-use and independent income stream whilst establishing confidence in and mastery of maths for school-aged students. Trials of this work have taken place in the Nabout-Pokhari school, producing amazing results.
With your continued investment in Maths Australia products, we will provide additional resources to enable expansion of the program to other Nepalese schools, teachers and students. With a quarter of the Nepalese population living in poverty, offering the knowledge that can change futures is crucial work.
Together, we are creating a self-sustaining, empowering and highly effective mastery of maths in these communities. This enables opportunities for powerful change in circumstance for everyone – from teachers and students to their wider families.
Our aim is to care for our planet and our resources on Mother Earth
We've researched the best - and most environmentally friendly - way of printing the workbooks and manuals that we ship out.
Currently, our printers are using specific protocols that include several environmental positives:
- Australian made and Carbon Neutral paper
- The Paper Mill is ISO 14001 and PEFC Certified, plus the pulping process is EFC free.
- ISO 14001 is the International Standard that specifies requirements for an effective environmental management system (EMS)
- The paper is Elemental chlorine free (ECF). This is a technique that uses chlorine dioxide for bleaching the wood pulp. It does not use elemental chlorine gas during the bleaching process and prevents the formation of dioxins and dioxin-like compounds and carcinogens.
- The printing centre has a Solar Panel system that provides up to 70% of power usage, sustainably.
- All toner waste is recycled though Close the Loop and certification is updated on a regular basis.
- All waste paper is recycled through Visy Recycling.
- The printer and other machinery suppliers have a recycling programme in place for any equipment that is no longer needed when upgrades occur.
Also, we have updated the following within our company procedures:
- We're now offering many of our training sessions virtually and creating video resources, which helps to reduce our carbon footprint.
- We've been working hard behind the scenes to build an entire members portal into this website. We've transitioned our DVDs into online videos for members, and documents like Completion Certificates are print-your-own now (because not everyone wants the certificate).
- We've converted our placement tests into an online automated system so that you don't need to download and print all the different placement tests anymore.
It's a very worthy discussion to have, about how we can further protect and care for our Planet Earth. Sometimes it can be a delicate balance between manufacturing efficiency/cost and reducing our carbon & waste footprint, but it's those small things that really make a difference - and the ongoing commitment to better these environmental aspects wherever we can.