Teacher & Psychologist Workshops:
10am – 1pm
Perth 22 May, Brisbane 20 May, Sydney 28 May
Learning Differences: Learning Strategies and Classroom Approaches (Half Day Workshop)
Dr. Gavin Reid
The aim of the half-day workshop will be enhance participants understanding of key issues and interventions in learning and teaching for children with learning differences. The workshop focus will be on classroom intervention and equipping the student with learning differences with the learning skills to develop independence, reflective learning and autonomy in learning.
The objectives of the day will be to provide participants with an understanding of:
- the key issues relating to the LEARN formula for dealing with learning differences in the classroom;
- recent research in the broader field of learning differences;
- some key principles and practice for managing learning differences in the classroom;
- the role of effective learning in supporting students with learning differences;
- assessment process and linking assessment with intervention;
- how to identify and deal with the barriers to learning;
- the range of intervention approaches including differentiation;
- learning differences and learning strategies;
- self-esteem and motivation;
- different perspectives – professionals, parents and students.
Target Audience: Teachers, specialist teachers, learning assistants and other associated professionals such as Psychologists.
Professional Development: This half-day course will enhance the professional development of participants irrespective of their background knowledge and experience.
The course will be 3 hours, but tasks will be appropriate for follow up school staff development. This can amount to a further four hours and more if background reading is required.
Perth 22 May
Parents Workshop: 6pm – 9pm
Learning Differences at Home and School:
Meeting the Needs of all
Dr. Gavin Reid
This presentation will include the following:
- An understanding of learning differences
- Identification and Intervention
- Linking school and home – developing a working relationship
- Effective Learning and Inclusion
This presentation will take a wide-angle view of current issues in learning differences and focus in the above aspects. Linking home and school is particularly important but this in itself can present some challenges. Effective communication is the key but also a common understanding of learning differences, the assessment and intervention and the short and long term aims set for young people with learning differences. This presentation will highlight these points and provide guidance and strategies to help pave the way for successful outcomes for all.
The seminar will be presented by Dr. Gavin Reid.
Dr. Gavin Reid is an independent psychologist and chair of the British Dyslexia Association Accreditation Board. He is the author of 34 books on Dyslexia, Learning and motivation.
He has featured on Radio and Television programmes world-wide and has been engaged on a number of UN projects as a Learning Difficulties expert. He was previously senior lecturer at the University of Edinburgh in the school of education.