What makes a good maths program?
There's a few key things that make a good homeschool maths program.
- It has to be easy to teach. You don't want a program that's complicated and too hard to teach. If you're not having fun teaching it, then your student isn't having fun learning either.
- It needs to be Australianised.
There’s no point having a great US based program that teaches dimes, nickels, pounds for maths and US presidents for American history. However, some programs that are great in the English and Science department don’t have many references to US based measurements, so are very user friendly and of excellent quality.
- It needs to be fairly priced (not over-expensive) for what it’s worth. And you need to compare 'apples with apples'. A program with video content, instruction material and student workbooks can't be compared to a workbook from your local news agency in terms of the quality of instruction and learning. And since you've committed to teaching your children, it's worth investing in materials that support you to do an excellent job of it.
- There needs to be excellent feedback about the product. If people are raving about the way the program teaches or what it offers, there’s a good reason for it - that means it works!
- It must be simple to implement and not require a lot of preparation time (you've got better things to do with your time - like enjoying hanging out with and enjoying the beauty of your kids....)
The best thing about the Math-U-See program is, that it ticks all those boxes and more! The Math-U-See program was written not only from experience in the school classroom as a qualified maths teacher but also with plenty of references to homeschool - the instructor, Steve Demme also homeschooled all of his kids!
It's easy to teach too, even if you don't have prior teaching experience. Many parents, teachers and tutors highly recommend the program because of its simplistic approach and ease of use.
The Math-U-See program includes the following features (that parents love!):
The Instruction Lessons are laid out in a simple, easy to follow way and includes worked solutions for each lesson, so if you ever get stuck somewhere along the way, you have everything you need to keep going.
Here's what Kelly, a homeschool mum with three kids who has used the Math-U-See program successfully (and runs Fearless Homeschool and the annual Australian Homeschool Summit, a great place to find heaps of information about homeschooling in Australia as well as a ton of free online homeschool courses.)
You can find out more about the features of the Math-U-See program and how it works here.
Have fun learning and engaging with your kids at home. It's an honour and a privilege to be able to spend more time with your kids, teaching them about the world and making lasting memories with them.
The Team at Maths Australia.